rollin wit da homies.
I am writing this during the last hour of my 24th year. Age is a really weird thing. For the last few years I’ve felt a lot older than what my age reflects. I guess that’s due to the fact that I grew up pretty fast in terms of, oh, I’m an adult now with a job and bills and a 401k and health insurance. But also in terms of how I think about the world around me and what I want from my life. I think turning 25 is incredibly exciting. So, here is a list (because I love lists) of 25 thoughts re: things I’ve learned and also things I wish for my next year of life.
1. Your parents are super weird but they are the best things you have. Enjoy them even when they drive you crazy.
2. Start your 401k as soon as you can so you can retire on a beach in France if you want.
3. Don’t ever get a cat.
4. Eat your fruit and vegetables. Seriously!
5. Floss. Again, I’m serious. This will save you from getting cavities.
6. Ask for what you want. If you don’t ask, you’ll never get it.
7. You can fall in love with anyone.
8. But you don’t have to get married if you don’t want to.
9. Be kind. Don’t burn bridges.
10. Don’t rush it.
11. Laugh as often as you can about as many things as you can.
12. Treat yo’ self.
13. Say no when you want to say no. Say yes when you want to say yes.
14. When in doubt, have a glass of wine.
15. Politics are bullshit but you look like an idiot if you’re uniformed.
16. Don’t worry, you’ll read all those books. One day.
17. Stay in your pajamas on a Saturday if you want. Some people would kill for that life.
18. The people in your life are here for a reason. Keep them close.
19. Save your money and then blow it on a nice vacation so you don’t go crazy.
20. If you want to gossip, get a therapist.
21. Cut the sugar.
22. Find something you want to learn and then get really good at it.
23. There will (most likely) always be a second chance.
24. Find people you look up to and admire and incorporate their strong qualities into your own life.
25. You have to be your own favorite everything.